A closer look at the British Grand Prix Trophy

A closer look at the British Grand Prix Trophy

Winners of the British Grand Prix were first awarded the trophy in 1948, despite the race dating back to 1927.

The origins of where the trophy came from are not clear, and the Royal Automobile Club, who are the formal owners of the trophy, haven’t been able to shed any light on the trophy’s history either.

One theory, based on the trophy’s inscription ‘Floreat Etona’ which translates as ‘Let Eton Flourish’, suggests that the trophy was donated by Sir Charles Rolls, co-founder of the Rolls Royce Motor Company, who was a former Etonian.

The trophy itself is a very ornate and decorative piece. A two handled Victorian cup covered in silver leaf, the urn shape of the cup has eight lobes which are highly decorated and engraved in a fancy floral design. Around the lower section are four round insignias, decoratively beaded with the front one being engraved with the name of the trophy.

A top cover or lid, matches the main body and continues the reach of the lobes which transform into an arrangement of large fruit. Its stem is supported by four brackets and mounted upon a mahogany base, where a gold plated plinth is engraved with all the winner’s names since 1948. In 2006, an extra band was added so it could accommodate the engraving of further names.

Here at H Cooper Glass Engravers, our glass and crystal awards are designed to be eye-catching and distinctive, whether ornately engraved or with a simple design.

Share this post