All you need to know about Wimbledon’s trophiesClive
The strawberries and cream have been served, the crowds have gathered on Henman Hill and the drama has been unfolding in SW19 as Wimbledon has once again attracted audiences across the globe. Read on for a brief history of those well-coveted Wimbledon trophies.
Ladies’ Singles Championship
The silver salver presented to the Wimbledon ladies’ singles champion is also known as the Rosewater Dish or Venus Rosewater Dish. The sterling silver dish, which was first presented to the ladies’ champion in 1886, measures 18.5 inches in diameter. The trophy is decorated in a mythological theme and includes the figure of Temperance in the central boss with four classical gods displayed in the reserves on the boss. The goddess Minerva can be seen around the rim of the salver. Champions receive smaller replica engraved awards with the names of all the past winners.
Gentlemen’s Singles Championship
First presented in 1887, the Wimbledon Gentlemen’s Singles Championship trophy replaced both the Field Cup (1877-1883) and the Challenge Cup (1884-1886). They were retained by William Renshaw after he twice won the title three times in a row. After that, the All England Tennis Club decided that the trophy would no longer ever belong to the winner. The cup stands 18 inches high and is made of silver gilt. Engraved onto the cup are the words ‘The All England Lawn Tennis Club Single Handed Championship of the World’. Again, the winner receives a smaller replica of the cup engraved with past winners’ names.
Presented annually, the Wimbledon trophies are a well-known sight at the end of one of the most famous tournaments in the world.